Finding your passion at a young age can lead to an inspiring and rewarding career in the future, and here at The New York Sewing Center we love to help people to reach for their dreams.
We created our Fashion School Prep class for students who are applying to fashion schools so they have the best chance of being accepted. As fashion school graduates ourselves, our instructors can provide invaluable insight into what fashion schools are looking for in their applicants and how you can create your best portfolio application possible.
In this course you will learn how to create a portfolio ready garment, as well as a mini fashion collection, including mood board inspiration, hand drawn fashion illustrations, and fabric swatches, all things you will need to complete for your formal applications.
During this course you will learn:
· fashion illustration & portfolio layout techniques
· learn what fashion schools are looking for in applicants & how to stand out
· all of the necessary sewing terminology & equipment
· how to read a commercial pattern & choose the right fabric for a garment
· how to construct a portfolio ready garment
· how to set in a zipper and waistband
· how to identify fabric grain lines
· over 6 different types of stitches & seam finishes you can complete using a sewing machine!
PROJECTS: Mini illustrated portfolio collection & portfolio-ready garment
FABRIC AND SUPPLIES: To be provided by student; first day materials will be provided and shipped and discussed for the remainder of the week. Students will be required to bring fabric after designing and sketching on the first day.
COURSE DURATION: 4 sessions 3 hours each day (12 hours)
PREREQUISITE: Sewing machine basics workshop or basics knowledge of sewing.