Sewing 101: Basics
Hey there! Ready to pick up that needle and thread for the first time? Or finally take that sewing machine you bought out of the box and put it to good use? With Sewing 101 we are going back to the basics, starting from scratch, and taking you step by step through all the essentials to make learning to sew a fun and inspiring experience.
Sewing 101 is perfect for complete beginners & people who have sewn in the past but need a refresher, where they will learn how to competently use a sewing machine and complete a skirt or drawstring pants from a commercial pattern!
During this course you will learn:
· all of the necessary sewing terminology & equipment
· how to read a commercial pattern
· how to choose the right fabric for a garment--either a skirt or drawstring pants
· how to make bags with professional closures
· how to set in a zipper and waistband
· how to identify fabric grain lines
· over 6 different types of stitches & seam finishes you can complete using a sewing machine!
PROJECTS: drawstring bag, zippered pouch, skirt or drawstring pants from a commercial pattern
FABRIC AND SUPPLIES: To be provided by student (sewing kits lists will be provided the first day of class). No need to bring supplies on the first day.
COURSE DURATION: 2 hours once a week for 6 weeks